The history of Château de la Coutancière is rich. In 1466, the estate had two fortified castles surrounded by a group of houses, separated by wide moats and connected by a drawbridge. The main castle consisted of a central part and two wings developed over a total length of 70 meters. The count of Montsoreau, Charles de Chambes, was the owner in the 16th century, and used La Coutancière mainly for hunting. Charles de Chambes was informed that his wife, Françoise de Maridor, had a secret affair with Lord Bussy of Amboise. Finally in 1579 Bussy was killed by Charles de Chambes at the Château de la Coutancière. This drama is fictionalized by Alexandre Dumas in 1846 in his book 'La dame de Monsoreau'.
Around 1699, the fortified castle was partly demolished. The rest was destroyed by a fire in 1825; the current castle was built on the remains of the fortress in the same year and was enlarged in 1900.